Dog Bite Complications
We all know that a dog bite can cause result in lacerations, bruising, and other immediate injuries. But the damage from dog bites does not always stop there. Instead, there can be lasting, recurring damage that may be experienced weeks, months, or even years after the initial dog bite. Sometimes victims are not even aware that the pain they are experiencing is the result of a dog bite that occurred many years ago. It is important for any dog bite victim experiencing dog bite complications to reach out to one of the experienced Atlanta dog bite attorneys at Slappey & Sadd to hold the dog owner responsible for the lasting damage that his or her dog caused.
To schedule a free case evaluation with one of our lawyers, call our office today at 404-255-6677 or contact us online.Examples of Dog Bite Complications
There are many short-term and long-term effects of dog bites, including the following:
- Infection. Many people bitten by dogs end up having an infection at the location of the bite. The infection can even spread through the blood in what is known as sepsis and can become life threatening, particularly in people with already compromised immune systems. If a loved one of yours has passed away due to sepsis resulting from a dog bite, seek legal assistance to bring a wrongful death claim against the dog owner;
- Nerve Damage. Some people experience nerve damage at the location of the bite. The nerve damage can be temporary or permanent. It may present as either lack of feeling or mobility at the bite location or at the opposite extreme an ever-present pain;
- Scarring. Scarring or disfigurement is often a result of a vicious dog bite. A victim may need to undergo several surgeries to recover some resemblance of his or her former self, and even then may never regain his or her original appearance;
- Mental Distress. Many people bitten by a dog end up experiencing some form of mental distress, including post-traumatic stress disorder, nightmares, anxiety, and depression.
This is not an exhaustive list. If you have been bitten by a dog and are experiencing different complications, it is important to seek medical treatment and determine whether the dog bite was the cause of the complication. The experienced dog bite complication lawyers at Slappey & Sadd will meet with you to go over your medical information and verify that your complication was the result of the dog bite.Liability for Dog Bite Complications
An owner who’s dog bites another person is liable for all resulting damage under the Georgia Code, O.C.G.A. § 51-2-7. While it is apparent that a person bitten by another’s dog can bring a lawsuit against the dog owner for the bite itself, victims should always keep in mind that they can likely hold dog owners liable for any complications that result from a dog bite – including those that arise months or even years later.Damages for Dog Bite Complications
If you have been bitten by a dog and are experiencing complications, you can seek redress from the dog owner. A dog owner can be held liable for all resulting medical bills, any long-term healthcare issues, the loss of employment due to the injury or complication, and pain and suffering. It is important for you and your family that your resulting complications are taken care of and you are made whole.What to do if You Have a Dog Bite Complication
If you have a dog bite complication, it is important to take the following steps:
- Seek medical attention and make sure your care is properly documented. You will want to preserve all medical reports for use later as evidence if necessary;
- Keep a detailed list of all medical bills and expenses, including transportation expenses to and from medical providers, that resulted from the dog bite complication;
- Take thorough pictures of your dog bite and the location of any further complications;
- If the dog owner is known to you, identify the dog owner and the offending dog and make sure it is documented in writing;
- File a police report. It is important to document the initial event with the police. The police may take the offending dog to a secure location so it will not be a further threat to anyone else; and
- Speak with a personal injury lawyer to determine whether you have a case against the dog owner and whether it is worthwhile to pursue.
If you wish to seek redress in a dog bite complication case, it is necessary to retain a knowledgeable dog bite complication lawyer such as the lawyers at Slappey & Sadd. We can identify whether you have a case against the dog owner and whether resulting complications of the dog bite may be attributed to the initial bite event. If settlement is not possible, we will pursue legal recourse through a lawsuit against the dog owner. Oftentimes the dog owner may be covered by some form of insurance that will be responsible for paying any damages award, so even if you believe the dog owner to be insolvent, it is useful to speak with a lawyer to determine whether any reward may be obtained from other sources. We will vigorously represent you through initial contact with the dog owner and his or her insurance provider, all the way to settlement or trial. If a legal proceeding does become necessary, our experienced litigation lawyers will champion your rights in court to ensure the best possible outcome.Call Us Today to Speak with a Dog Bite Lawyer in Atlanta
If you are experiencing complications from a dog bite, it is important to speak with a personal injury lawyer at Slappey & Sadd to ensure that your rights are protected and that the dog’s owner is held responsible for any resulting medical bills. The lawyers at Slappey & Sadd will represent your rights as a dog bite complication victim to seek compensation for the damage you have received. Contact the attorneys at Slappey & Sadd today at 404-255-6677 to protect your rights.